Friday, December 10, 2010

Ching's Hot Wings

Ching's Hot Wing's
1264 Getwell
743-5545


A few Saturdays ago, we ventured out to Ching's Hot Wings on Getwell. I'd heard a lot about it, but had never been before. I have a very serious chicken wing addiction, so I needed to check it out. I'll admit that when we pulled up, I was a little worried that it might not be a great place to take the kids, but once inside, everyone was all smiles and very cool.

There was a bit of a line at the window, so after a quick look at the menu--which was basically all chicken wings--I sent the dudes to sit down at a booth. I decided to get a couple of 5 piece whole wing combos--one mild hot and one plain--that included fries and a drink. Warren had asked for some jalapeno poppers, so I added those on to our order. The total was $19. The young girl behind the window instructed me to sit down and she said she'd call my name when it was ready.

I joined the dudes at the table and too in the atmosphere. I'd heard that Ching's was a big U of M hangout, but I wasn't prepared for flat screen TVs tuned to every game imaginable lining the walls of the very small dining room.


I think this picture can somewhat give you an idea of how into sports we all are.


Every once in a while, Warren would comment about something happening in the football game playing behind me, which I thought was funny. (Funny because he watches maybe 3 hours of sports a year.) He mostly scrolled through the Huffington Post, the monkeys drew, and I took notes.

About twenty minutes passed and they still hadn't called my name. It was definitely pretty busy, but twenty minutes is my threshold for waiting for food. Plus, we had tickets to Peter Pan at the Playhouse and I was getting concerned that we might be late. I went to the window to check on our order and a very helpful man told me it would just be a minute or two. And it was.

At first one of the girls mistakenly gave me a huge party pan and for a minute I felt really embarrassed about over ordering. Once I realized it couldn't possibly be ours, I went back to the window and got what we actually ordered.




The poppers were nothing special, probably frozen and fried.

The hot wings were spicy but not too hot, maybe a tad on the salty side. The fries had a special seasoning on them that was also salty and Warren said the mix had curry in it too. We also liked that the carrots were blanched or marinated.

The plain wings were covered in the same seasoning as the fries and Jiro took one teeny tiny taste and said he didn't like them. I was pretty shocked since he is a major chicken wing fan like me. No amount of coaxing could get him to eat any, and he similarly rejected the fries. I think he may have taken one bite of bread.

Luckily Satchel liked the wings and happily ate them up.


And as you can see from Warren's fingers, they were deliciously messy. (Each table has a canister of Clorox wipes!)


We pretty much had to eat and run in order to make the play, so there was no time to check out the bathrooms or anything like that. I'm not sure the monkeys will want to go back, but I dragged Warren there just a few days later for lunch. Then I decided to do a little write up for the Flyer. If you decide to check it out, I suggest you go all the way and get some Orange Mound Punch and get several flavors of sauce. (They'll mix and match for you.)

Ching's Hot Wings on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...