Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Stak's

Stak's
4615 Poplar
509-2367


Jiro (11) is a serious pancake lover. I have been wanting to get him to Stak's for awhile now. Sunday proved to be the perfect time--it was my mom's 77th birthday. Jiro's friend, Gus, joined us, as did my niece.

Stak's is next to Chili's on Poplar & Perkins in that little strip mall. It's not much to look at from the outside, but the inside is really cute. It's decorated in Tiffany blue and is very happy feeling.

Stak's

It's an order at the counter type place.

Stak's

However, due to the large crowd gathered there at 10:30am with us on Sunday, we had to get on a list in order to order. You heard me. It makes sense, I mean who wants to get their food and then have no where to eat it? But you know what doesn't make sense? Why they don't have table service on busy mornings. Now, I have never worked in or owned a restaurant and I am sure there is a good reason why owners prefer counter service, but let me say that as a customer, we don't love it.

I've just noticed that the take home menu, and receipt, make a point of saying there is no tipping because they pay their staff more than other restaurants.

Untitled

I totally support that. They should pay their staff to be waiters and waitresses. Ha!

Anyway, we took a seat and happily waited. I was impressed enough by the menu that I wasn't going to let a waitlist to order prevent me from trying the food. We went ahead and opened presents.

Stak's

My mom's first ever hoodie!

Stak's

After about 15 minutes we were asked if we minded sharing a very large table (the one my mom was already sort of sitting at) with the one man left eating at it. I replied that it would be just fine. Under my breath I said, "I am sure he will be done eating by the time we get through the line and actually sit down." He was. Their system of waiting for empty tables is definitely not perfect.

Stak's

Anyway! We'd all studied the menu and were ready to order. My mom and Sutton were on one ticket and Jiro, Gus, and I were on another. I told them to get whatever they wanted. Then I ordered the "no burrito bowl" and a cold brew coffee. When the cashier told me the total was $54.84, I could not hide my shock. "Are you sure?" I asked. She ran through the order. Jiro and Gus both got a tall stak of pancakes with chocolate chips ($5.95 each), a side of two scrambled eggs ($3.25 each), a side of Porcellino's bacon ($4.95 each) and a soft drink ($2.45). Eleven year old boys can eat!

I paid the tab and joined everyone else at the table. I was a little hung up on a $5 side of bacon, but I get it. Porcellino's makes fancy ass bacon. Today I am more insulted by the $2.45 soft drink, though I know that is a pretty standard price point in restaurants.

There is a kids menu, with nice low prices for littles.

Untitled

Our drinks came in reusable take home cups, and I liked my cold brew just fine. (They also have nitro coffee and Wiseacre's coffee stout. Nice!)

The food came out pretty quickly, or at least in semi rapid succession. (With all of the boys' side dishes there was a lot to carry!)

The pancakes were first.

Stak's

Then the bacon.

Stak's

(They also offer flavored bacon.)

By the time they got their eggs, I was working on my no burrito bowl. I had asked them to take off the cheese and add avocado. (I didn't see it because it was mixed in, which was weird. Also it was a skimpy amount.)

Stak's

It came with a side of hashbrowns, which ended up being the highlight of my meal. The bowl was disappointing. Not a lot of sausage and a ton of liquid from the salsa. It was like a giant bowl of eggs swimming in sauce.

Stak's

(My niece also had a no burrito bowl and felt as "meh" as I did. Though I noticed hers had a lot more sausage.)

Thankfully, the birthday girl was thrilled with her meal of corned beef hash and eggs.

Stak's

The boys were pretty happy too. They ate every bite of their food. (Jiro accidentally got a blueberry pancake in his chocolate chip stak, but he didn't let it deter him.)

Our table had a hot plate where you can actually make your own pancakes. Fun, right? We had discussed the boys doing this, but they seemed worried they might burn them. When we were done eating they said they wished they had done it.

All in all, I think Stak's has potential. And I think everyone who ordered pancakes was happy, which makes sense. Sutton noted that she wished it stayed open past 2:00pm so she could walk over after school. (She goes to WSHS.) My friend commented that it would be a fun place to have a kids birthday party. I agree with all of these things.

Try it! Just beware of monkeys with big appetites and stick to the pancakes!

Staks Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...