Friday, February 25, 2011

Maggie Moo's

Maggie Moo's Ice Cream and Treatery
125 South Main Street
522-1912


Last week the monkeys (Satchel, 8, and Jiro, 6) and I were downtown for the International Folk Alliance conference. We parked on one end of Main Street and walked to the other. We took the trolley back, and Jiro requested that we stop at Maggie Moo's for ice cream. We hadn't had lunch yet, but there was no talking him out of it. He'd recently visited with friends and wanted me to experience the magic.

IMG_4104

Maggie Moo's used to be in Peabody Place, and we'd been several times. We even had a tour of the kitchen and learned how to make ice cream for a story I did for Memphis Parent. (Maggie's is a national chain, but this franchise is locally-owned and operated.)

The new location on Main Street is way better and the store seems new and exciting again. Plus it has on-street seating for people watching! With the Folk Alliance Conference in town, there were plenty of interesting people to see.

Despite our earlier visits, I somehow failed to realize that Maggie's did the whole mixing in of toppings on the cold stone. Jiro set me straight.

IMG_4098

Although Jiro was the only one ordering ice cream, I figured I'd get a few bites, so I helped him decide on Peanut Butter Galaxy.

IMG_4097

He requested it in a waffle cup, which I'd never seen before.

IMG_4099

It looked great, and he was very happy. I sent him and Satchel out for a chair while I paid. It was a whopping $6.42! I was now happier than ever that Satchel decided not to order one. Yikes. That's about what the three of us would pay together at Baskin Robbins. It's slightly more than YoLo too. However, it did end up being enough for all three of us to share, and I'm pretty sure if you get a plain scoop in a regular cup it's way cheaper.

IMG_4100

Based on the location alone, I'm sure we'll be back.

Maggie Moo's is having their grand opening tomorrow, Saturday, February 26th from 1-5pm. There will be special pricing, balloons, face painting, and a visit from Maggie Moo herself.

MaggieMoo's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...