Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Skybox Grill & Bar

Skybox Grill & Bar
2140 W Poplar Ave (Collierville)
(901) 854-0509


The Skybox is in Colliervile where the old Petra Cafe used to be. It opended up earlier this year and I had never heard of it. I needed to try the macaroni eggrolls for a story I was working on, so I loaded up the monkeys (Satchel, 12, and Jiro, 10) and headed east. Since we have to pass my mom's house on the way, we picked her up too.

Untitled

I wasn't really blown away by the decor and was a little iffy on the sports bar concept, but soon a waiter switched on soccer at Satchel's request and then chatted with the boys about different players for a few minutes. He even told them that Tim Howard comes in from time to time. They were sold. Soon they were very happily watching the Man City v Crystal Palace match.

There is a separate bar, and I was impressed with the beer list.

Untitled

On the regular menu, we had no trouble finding things we wanted to eat.

Untitled

First up, the macaroni eggrolls. YUM!

Untitled

I really wanted to not like them so I wouldn't be tempted to drive all the way out to Collierville again!

Our main orders came out soon after. As the waitress was setting everything down, Jiro pulled his arms out of his shirt (he was cold) and acidentally caused her to drop his plate. She was super cool about it and said she'd get another one ASAP.

The waitress had told Satchel the wings were really good, so he had to try them. He was not disappointed.

Untitled

"These wings are quality," he said.

Untitled

My mom had the grilled shrimp BLT which she said was surprisingly delicious. She credited the bacon which she described as exceptional. She liked the ciabatta bread which she said was interesting. We all tried the fat fries and gave them the thumbs up.

Untitled

I had the Mahi tacos with cabbage and pico. I thought two tortillas was too much and dropped one. They weren't super flavorful, but nothing a little hot sauce couldn't fix.

Untitled

Jiro's replacement burger came out fairly quickly and he compared to it to McDonald's because the patty was very thin and the burger hung off the side of the bun. Though he didn't like the looks of it, he did like the taste.

Untitled
Untitled

We absolutely couldn't leave without trying the deep fried moon pie with salted caramel ice cream. Holy shit.

Untitled

The monkeys literally got out of their chairs and hovered on either side of me to eat it up as fast as possible. It was really, really good. Another thing I did not need to like!

Our total was $55 plus tip, which is pretty good considering we had an appetizer and a dessert.

We really enjoyed our visit and we all plan to go back for the boys' family birthday dinner.

Skybox Grill & Bar on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Jay | Life of Creed said...

I will have to check this restaurant. Everything looks yummy!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jordan said...

I tried it out myself, and while it's not my kind of environment I think it's a must try for a nice casual beer drink. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Hannah said...

The macaroni egg rolls are holier than thou. Fantastic beer list though. You guys were on point. The decor is kind of down to earth not to impress which some people actually dig. Great review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...