Monday, October 22, 2012

Stickem Food Truck

Stickem Food Truck

Last week a Facebook friend posted about eating meat on a stick for lunch. Apparently there was a new food truck in town, and it was good. I had already eaten when I saw his post, and wasn't able to catch up with the truck until Friday, when it parked by the University of Memphis Law School downtown.

Chip and I walked over to check it out, made it just before they closed up shop. They were out of chicken and veggies and we were lucky to really get anything, I think. Chip had the beef kabobs and I had the beef and shrimp kabob salad.

Chip looks unimpressed in this photo, but what you can't see is him nodding and making "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM" noises.

Untitled

Look at my pretty salad.

Untitled

We were both super impressed, and when I saw on Facebook that they'd be at the Broad Avenue Art Walk on Saturday, I immediately made plans to take Satchel, my meat loving monkey (age 10).

The full menu was available on Saturday.

Untitled

Satchel wanted beef kabobs, and I sweetly asked if I could have a mix of chicken and tofu. That way I could say I'd tried everything on the menu. Satch wanted a Sprite to drink and I got a Gatorade. We paid our $19.00 via Square Up, took our number, and waited. I tried chatting up the guy manning the street, but he did not want to chat. So, I'm sorry but I have no inside scoop on where these guys came from or how they learned to cook such delicious things on sticks. Their "About" section on Facebook merely says, "A Memphis food truck." So there you have it. The Stickem guys are purposely mysterious. The only other nugget I found was that they were founded in March, but it looks like they didn't hit the streets until August.

Untitled

Back to the food. I narrowly prevented Satchel from scarfing down his kabobs before I got a photo. Don't they look yummy?

Untitled
Untitled

When Warren and I lived in Cameroon, one of our favorite street foods was soya--beef on a stick with a crunchy peanut coating. The meat was served with raw onion in a rice flour pancake. Oh my. So good. These kabobs are a very close second.

The chicken and tofu also looked and tasted great.

Untitled
Untitled

Look closely at the veggies--fresh, not frozen. Broccoli, carrots, squash and onion. very yummy. The fries are a little spicy, too spicy for the kids, but tasty. The bread was a big hit with Satchel.

The chicken, the beef, the shrimp, and the tofu are all really, REALLY, good. I seriously don't know if I could say which one is the best.

Looking back--especially at this picture--we could have easily split something. Satchel was stuffed after eating about half of his, and I didn't even make it through half of mine.

Untitled

The upside, of course, was that we had lots of leftovers to enjoy the next day. Oh, and they do not use styrofoam. Yay!

If you see Stickem out and about (check Facebook and Twitter), you must give them a try! And if you manage to chat them up, let us know their story!

Stickem Food Truck on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...