Monday, June 04, 2012

MarksGrill FoodTruck

MarksGrill FoodTruck

On Saturday, the fam and I went over to Overton Park to check out the lovely new dog park, Overton Bark. It took our old dogs a few minutes to figure out what was going on, but soon they were happily sniffing buts with the rest of Midtown's dogs.

Untitled

Along with the grand opening, there was a food truck rodeo. That means they had the parking lot blocked off and several food trucks parked together. I find that very exciting. I was hoping to score some Fuel Truck tacos, but they were still at the Memphis Farmers Market with a few of my other favorite trucks--Central BBQ, Rockin Dough Pizza Co, and Healthylicious. On the bright side, it gave us a chance to try a new truck--MarksGrill. Yes, that's one word.

Satchel cannot resist any opportunity to eat a hamburger. He insisted on putting in his own separate order, and judging from this picture, pretending like he was not there with his lame family.

Untitled

Jiro wanted a cheeseburger and I was sure Warren would eat whatever I ordered, so I took a minute to peruse the menu.

Untitled

I had recently spoken to owner Mark Hamilton about his truck for a story I was working on for Edible Memphis. He told me that his truck is the most elaborate in the nation because the generator is on top. He also said his Philly Cheese Steaks are the real deal and that he gets the rolls straight from Philly, so it seemed like an obvious choice when deciding what to order. I forgot that he told me the BBQ pita was pulled pork on naan bread, or I might have gone with that. I love fish tacos, but I don't know about ordering them from a guy named Mark. (Kidding. Sort of.)

A nice young man took my order, and as I peeked in the truck, I saw a nice looking woman. I can only assume Mark has his wife and son helping him out, which I think is precious. I know Warren often fantasizes about me and the kids slaving away on his sushi truck some day.

Satchel's burger came out first, since he placed his own order, and he went to sit under a tree and eat it by himself. Yes, that is what ten year olds are like.

Untitled

A few minutes later, Jiro's burger combo was ready, but he was nowhere to be found. His friends showed up while we were waiting and he ran off to the playground. Once the Philly was done, I carried everything over to where Warren was sitting. He and our friend Carlos were watching the Wuvbirds play. I handed him the Philly and he dug right in.

Untitled

When he was about halfway through I had two questions: Is it good? Can I have a bite? He said he liked it but it was a little dry. There may have been some condiments near the truck window that I bypassed. I'm not sure. I was lucky to be able to carry everything by myself. I don't think Warren gave Carlos a bite, but he did verify that it looked authentic. (He has actually lived in Philly.)

Jiro eventually showed up to claim his burger, which he said was delicious.

Untitled

Jiro says everything is delicious. Well he says all hamburgers are delicious. I had a bite and it was ok. The patty seemed like it was just one of those frozen ones from Sam's or Costco or something, so nothing special.

The fries did seem to be hand cut and freshly fried though, and that was nice.

Untitled

Later, when the music ended and MarksGrill was packing up, OPC bosslady and friend, Naomi, came over with some free hot dogs for us to try.

Untitled
Untitled

The hot dogs got the thumbs up. Who is going to give a free hot dog the thumbs down? (Someone made me promise not to take his picture eating a hot dog ever since we went to Payne's.)

Carlos went over to get his kids a drink before they left, and Jiro followed along with his cup. he reported getting a free refill, which was nice, though I don't know if it is standard. The kids also all seemed to have scored free Ring Pops.

Untitled

So MarksGrill definitely gets major bonus points for customer service. I will remember to try the pita next time, and maybe even a taco.

I will say that after eating at MarksGrill, the kids had lots of energy. They ran up and down this wall about a hundred times.

Untitled

Don't you think "Eat at MarksGrill and then go play in a ditch!" is a good slogan? Mark, feel free to use it!

MarksGrill's regular hangout is the Humane Society in Shelby Farms Park. They also come downtown on Fridays. Check 'em out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...