Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bosco's

It's been more than four years since I reviewed Bosco's! It was a group effort and probably a bit wordy for my casual readers, so here's a new look at an old favorite.

Bosco's Squared
2120 Madison Avenue
432-2222


The past few Sundays, we've found ourselves driving around in search of food. A couple of weeks ago, we decided to go to Bosco's. We used to live right behind Bosco's and it was my regular drinking spot. I go for lunch and late night drinks from time to time and Warren and I have been known to pop in before a movie, but we hadn't taken the monkeys (Satchel, 8, and Jiro, 6) in over four years!

IMG_3514

We arrived pretty early--around 6:00pm--and found the restaurant fairly quiet. (There was also snow in the forecast.) We were seated along the west wall in a large booth. There was one other family dining in the same area and I was glad to see it.

When we sat down, we had an immediate issue--the candle on the table. "Can I blow it out?" was the first thing Satchel asked. We went ahead an let him so that the fire would not continue to be a source of conversation/annoyance for the rest of the meal. (Sadly, I can't blame the lack of candlelight for the quality of these pictures. Half way through our meal, they adjusted the lighting to be even lower than it already was. Good for ambiance, bad for pictures.)

IMG_3497

The hostess gave the monkeys fancy crayons to color their kids' menus/placemats. I love that they are still young enough to tackle kids' pages with gusto. Our first order of business was getting drinks. Warren ordered a Poor Richard's Ale and the rest of us got water. (Had it not been a Sunday after two nights of imbibing, I probably would have had a beer too.) The kids' waters came in styrofoam cups. (Doesn't it seem like an institution like Bosco's should be PGF certified?)

IMG_3501

In terms of food, the kids' menu seemed about the same as I remembered. It cracks me up that you can get fruit with a side of fries. The macaroni and cheese is Kraft, and overall I think the menu is pretty amenable to little kids.

IMG_3498

Jiro quickly decided on the cheese pizza, but Satchel wanted soup. The soup of the day was clam chowder and he was fine with that. Warren and I went back and forth. If I wasn't on a healthy choices kick, I would have totally gotten the Buffalo chicken pizza. Instead, I opted for the ahi tuna tacos. I offered to share them with Warren for a bit of his steak sandwich and he agreed.

The first thing to come out was Warren's side salad. It was fine. Nothing exciting. Looking closely at the picture, I'd guess it came from a bag. The carrots definitely did.

IMG_3502

Then the tuna tacos arrived. They are an appetizer. The description reads "Chopped Sushi Tuna, Shredded Lettuce, Pico De Gallo, and Smoky Sour Cream in Crisp Wontons." I've had them several times and like the way the pico and the sour cream combine. I am also a fan of the crunchy shell. However, the tuna was cooked way more than I would have liked.

IMG_3503

Our main dishes arrived soon after. Jiro's pizza looked very small. He can pack away an entire slice of the Trolley Stop Market's giant pizza, so ordering from the kids' menu may have been a stretch for him. He complained that the cheese was sliding around, but once it cooled off a bit, he easily ate it up. (I definitely expected him to be hungry about an hour later and he was.)

IMG_3505

Satchel's clam chowder, on the other hand, was gigantic. I definitely should have gotten him a small. He loves nothing more than dipping bread into soup, so he was golden. (As much as he claimed to like this soup it took a lot of string arming to get him to polish off the leftovers a few days later.)

IMG_3509

Warren's Angus steak sandwich looked yummy, and it was, but I definitely did not feel the power of my healthy choices with the buttered and grilled bread smothered in mayo. Oh well. I ate some fries and got over myself.

IMG_3510

We all cleaned our plates, except Satchel. Warren was still working on his beer (he tried enlisting Jiro's help to polish it off!), so I agreed to get a slice of Key Lime pie for everyone to split. I think it must be the first thing Satchel looks for on a menu!

IMG_3511

It was good--again, nothing special. Our tab came to $50, $60 with tip. Ouch!

Looking back, I guess I never noticed how blah some of the food is at Bosco's. Next time, I'll suck it up and have a Flaming Stone and the Buffalo chicken pizza. This is not the place for healthy choices! Although, I think the seared tuna salad probably would have been a better--and more filling (but more expensive)--alternative to the tuna tacos. And I'd probably have the monkeys split a regular pizza and avoid the kids' menu.

I am a fan of Bosco's and love that they continue to bring in the crowds. Overton Square definitely needs a solid place to anchor it. The patio is amazing and the service is usually just fine. Definitely worth going to, especially if you are monkey free and thirsty.

Boscos Squared on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

Courtney said...

I have to say as someone who doesn't drink, I am constantly underwhelmed by Bosco's food. We went there last spring and after a completely blah (and expensive) dinner with the kids, we've crossed it off our list.

knitch said...

They DO have the most tender calamari of any restaurant in town that I've been to. I love your comment about PGF! That would be a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Stacey - Of course you must know there's no such thing as a "styrofoam" cup. Foam cup - yes. Styrofoam is a building material, not a cup.

Stephanie said...

Anonymous must be the disciplined kind of person who says, "I need a tissue," rather than, "I need a kleenex." I'm lazy about that myself, and tend to use brand names. A quick internet search shows that Stacey -and I!- are in good company in making that same "styrofoam" mistake.

I love going to Bosco's for a beer and a pizza, but I do feel it's too expensive to take the kids there just for a regular meal. Now that you mention it, I really can't remember the last time we went there for dinner. Although we used to go all the time- probably before we had kids!

Stacey Greenberg said...

Technically they're called polystyrene but that would just make me sound pretentious, wouldn't it?

Sassy Molassy said...

Last time I was at Bosco's with Jiro, you had to fight him off your beer!

Unknown said...

I will have to agree with both knitch and Courtney, they're food is always so disappointing whenever we go. Having been in Memphis for the past four years I can count the number of times I've been on my hand, probably no more than five and each time I am somewhat disappointed. I think the only thing it has to offer besides their Calamari being unbelievably good, is that on a nice Fall/Spring day it's nice to dine outside....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...