Monday, November 26, 2012

Osaka (Midtown)

Osaka
3402 Poplar
249-4690


We went to the new Osaka in Poplar Plaza a couple of weeks ago, despite the ugly sign. Seriously, I have heard so many people, including Warren, complain about their sign. It's funny to hear people say, "Too many fonts!" I tried to take a picture of it, but failed.

If you think there is a lot going on with the sign, well, you should see the inside. It's very flashy. Again, my photos came out blurry, but here is a shot of the sushi bar. In addition to the sushi bar, there is a private room and a hibachi area. The interior is quite large.

Untitled

Did I mention the hostess was dressed as a geisha?

This is Osaka's fourth location. We took the monkeys (Satchel, 10, and Jiro, 8) to the Collierville location many many years ago. I was a frequent customer while I was in the roller derby and had a reason to go to Collierville on a regular basis, but it's been awhile since any of us have eaten there.

I was excited to see that they were opening up in the old Bookstar, even though I was really sad to see Bookstar go (and the movie theater before that!). It was kind of fun to see the monkeys wrap their brains around the fact that we were eating in what used to be their favorite bookstore.

We were seated at a table by the kitchen door. This is probably my least favorite place to sit, so I asked if we could scoot down a few tables. Satchel could see the hibachi tables from where we were and wanted to move there, but we told him we'd make a separate trip for hibachi.

We were given hot towels and proceeded to place our drink orders. It was water for everyone and hot tea for Warren. Jiro was immediately annoyed that I did not order him a Sprite. He has become a serious soft drink freak.

Warren thought his tea cup was silly, and didn't like that the waitress came to refill it. Typically, they bring a pot to the table at Asian restaurants.

Untitled

We also thought the water glasses were over the top, but the kids liked choosing a color.

Untitled

What I like best about Osaka is the option to order a half roll. I ordered four halves. Warren went with an early bird special with sushi and tonkatsu. The monkeys wanted crunchy shrimp rolls and soup. Satchel, who was still licking his lips from our trip to Bucanas said, "I want a crab or a fish or something I can pick apart." So I also got him a soft shell crab appetizer.

The salad that came with Warren's meal was pretty standard. He noted that they are still using the "cheap ass chopsticks." "Think of their electric bill for the sign alone," I joked. "They have to save money somewhere."

Untitled

Satchel gave the miso soup the thumbs up.

Untitled

Jiro, who you can see expressing his devastation in the photo above, eventually ordered himself a Sprite.

Untitled

The food came out very fast and looked good. Warren's rice lost its shape on the way out, they forgot his tonkatsu sauce, and the pork wasn't hot, but he was pleased overall.

Untitled

Satchel was not at all impressed with the softshell crab. I guess because it was too easy to eat?

Untitled

They did like the sushi, although they weren't able to eat it all. (Three crunchy shrimp rolls, two without cucumber.)

Untitled

The waitress was blown away when Satchel started using his chopsticks. She made a point of praising him, which was sweet.

Untitled

My dinner won prettiest.

Untitled

Close up of the Hawaiian.

Untitled

Totally blanking on the name of this one.

Untitled

Spicy tuna...

Untitled

Or maybe this was the spicy tuna?

Untitled

Sad that I can't remember what I ordered. They all tasted good. I was sooooooooo stuffed.

Our total came to $59 plus tip, which is about right for a sushi dinner for four. I'm not sure Osaka will win us away from Sekisui, but we might go for the lunch boats one day. We miss those. Satchel will probably hold us to our hibachi promise too.

One last thing--look what I saw in the ladies room!

Untitled

Tell me which rolls you like...or send me good a picture of the sign!

Osaka  on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

janiam said...

I love the Hawaiian & the Anchorage.

Anonymous said...

Love the blog..have a question more of your opinion kinda of question. I have a 3 year old birthday coming up and I am looking for a fun unique place to go for it..she loves sushi and is very adventurous in food..one of the reason I love your blog you don't take fear in letting your kids explore food.

T.boyles

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...