Friday, November 26, 2010

Eat Well Sushi & Grill

Eat Well Sushi & Grill
2965 N Germantown Rd # 102
388-8178


On Wednesday night we had to take the kids to my mom's house in Germantown, so I decided it would be fun to go to dinner at Eat Well Sushi & Grill which is a "Modern Japanese buffet." I'd heard lots of good things about it, and had wanted to try it for awhile.


It's located past Wolfchase Galleria, across Stage Road in a strip mall. From the outside, it is nothing special, but inside is very fancy.

We were immediately impressed by the biggest fish tank I've seen outside of an actual aquarium.

There were several full tables, but it was far from packed. I liked that the buffet was off to the side rather than in the middle of the restaurant. Here are some photos from their website:





We were taken to a table and asked for our drink orders then told to "enjoy." Jiro (6) was a little flumpy since he fell asleep in the car on the way over, and the sweet waitress talked to him and tried to cheer him up. "Go eat so you'll get some energy!" she said like a doting grandmother.

We went over to the buffet and tried to figure out where to start. The grill items were first and Satchel (8) and Jiro immediately started loading up their plates. Warren wandered off to find the sushi, so I stayed and monitored the monkeys' activity. Jiro was busy getting french fries and the like until I told him that there was sushi. I took him over and we looked for a roll that he likes. The crunchy shrimp had eel sauce on it, but I figured he'd eat it anyway. On our way back to the table, I found some miso soup and got him a bowl of that.


Satchel went for all of the "weird" stuff, which I thought was cute. Grilled squid, crawfish, and octopus filled his plate.


Once the monkeys were settled, I made my plate. I went for the sushi and was pleased by the selection. There were several complex rolls and even some sashimi. (The only negative thing I can say is that the tongs were really dirty due to the sauces covering the rolls, and it was kind of a turn off.) I also got some squid salad off of the cold bar and some "Thai Gumbo" at the soup bar.



Warren went for a variety of sushi, grilled items, and kim chi.


Our waitress came by several times to check on us, clear plates, and fill our glasses. We all enjoyed our food, and everyone except Jiro went back for seconds. He had gotten a lollipop on the way in and was eager to eat it.

Once it looked like we were all done, the waitress came over and asked if we wanted ice cream. "It's included," she said.

Of course the monkeys couldn't turn down ice cream. The choices were mint chocolate chip, rainbow, and cookie dough.


Warren and I passed on the ice cream, but he got a few items off of the dessert bar. I asked him to bring me a piece of the dessert sushi which was rolled with fruit. (It was okay--not as good as I hoped.)

The waitress brought us the bill and we paid up. It was $20 each for me and Warren, $12 for Satchel, and $6 for Jiro. (Prices are a little lower on the weekend and at lunch.) I was already starting to feel the msg kick in and was having buffet regret. I think that for the money, it makes more sense to go somewhere and have sushi made to order.

Despite the nice decor, friendly service, and wide selection, I left feeling a little underwhelmed. And bloated.

Eat Well Sushi & Grill on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been several times and found it a bit pricey but liked the food, especially the sushi. But in August they refused to honor a restaurant.com certificate, telling me it had been used (I confirmed later that it had not been used). A few weeks later they processed it, although I paid the full bill. I E-mailed them with a complaint, but they never replied. So now they are no longer on my "good" list.

Wildflower said...

Since sometime last year, I have always checked your blog when I discover a restuarant I want to try. And 90% of time, you have a review for it. I am glad you reviewed this place because I have wanted to try it. Keep it up.

handtalker said...

Love this place! It *is* a bit pricey, so I try to go at lunch time. The hot food is always hot, the sushi is good and the wait staff is always prompt & friendly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...