Friday, June 08, 2012

Los Compadres

Los Compadres
3295 Poplar Avenue
(901) 458-5731


Last Saturday evening we went to Los Compadres to celebrate our friend Oliver's eighth birthday. We got a great spot out on the patio, and never actually went inside.

Untitled

We were gearing up for Rock-n-Romp Camp so we needed to discuss some business with Oliver's parents and another board member, Aimee. So of course we needed special drinks. I had to have a margarona after seeing a Facebook post of one the day before. Behold!

Untitled

The beer pretty much stays inside the bottle until the margarita is gone, so it's like a chaser. Warren really wanted michelada, which is beer and tomato juice. It wasn't listed on the menu, but when we asked, our waitress said they had them. Score!

Untitled

Despite getting what I wanted, I was a little jealous of Aimee's frozen strawberry margarita, Texas style. Yum. (I think Texas style means it has top shelf tequila?)

Untitled

I was also very jealous of Aimee's appetizer, the chorisqueso.

Untitled

Thankfully, she shared with everyone! I ordered some cheese dip for me, and one for Jiro over at the kids' end and then took a real look at the menu. The appetizers came out crazy fast and we never wanted for chips or dip. Love that.

We spent a good deal of time looking at the Cuban menu, but only Corey, Oliver's dad, actually ordered from it. He pointed out that the pictures on the Cuban menu were not nearly as appetizing as the ones on the Mexican menu. Wait, Satchel also ordered from the Cuban menu, but he ordered hot wings and fries. Does that count? Didn't think so.

I've been to Los Compadres several times, but far enough apart that I don't have a usual dish. Considering the amount of chip, dip, and margarona I had, I decided to just get the tortilla soup. Warren went with the tacos, as did Oliver's mom, Kate, and Aimee ordered chicken soup. I got Jiro the taco with beans and rice from the kids meal.

By far the highlight of the ordering process was when Corey ordered for his daughter, Polly. "She'll have an order of rice and three tortillas," he said. Apparently she likes to roll her own. Equally impressive, on the opposite side of the spectrum, was Oliver's order of a taco salad with steak.

Jiro walked down to my end of the table and whispered in my ear, "What am I eating?" Later he was spotted diiping his chips in his orange Fanta. Cute or gross? You decide.

I was glad that we waited awhile to put our order in because the food comes out super fast. My soup was good, but not as good as at La Hacienda.

Untitled

Warren's tacos were epic.

Untitled

Satchel's wings were on the not very exciting side, and very spicy, but he ate them up...

Untitled

...with the help of lots and lots of water.

Untitled

When he was done he said, "It feels like someone poured iron and dumped it on my face." Nice, huh? I promise he likes torturing himself with spicy food. (I craved hot wings when I was pregnant with him--go figure.)

Jiro's taco meal was fairly standard. A pretty good size portion. He just ate the taco though. Satchel happily ate the rest.

Untitled

Corey told our waitress that it was Oliver's birthday, and they came out to sing. He was really happy and embarrassed at the same time. He also thought he got to keep the sombrero.

Untitled

Satchel couldn't resist hamming it up a bit.

Untitled

We had a really nice meal and I think we all were 100% relaxed when we left. We did linger a bit longer than we should have--probably because of the frozen beverages--so I apologize to the other people on the patio who were ready to see us go.

Our tab was a semi-reasonable $46.

Untitled

As you can see, the margarona is a tad pricey. Oops and I am just now noticing that I was only charged for one cheese dip.

I never made it inside as I said before, but the inside is lovely. The previous tenants (Costa Vida) made it very fancy so it has a different feel from the other standard Mexican places.

We'll be back.

p.s. When deciding which Mexican place to go to Warren rallied hard for Los Picosos, but the "problem" with most of the places on Summer is that they do not serve alcohol.

Los Compadres on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...