Friday, September 24, 2010

Pinkberry (New Orleans)

Pinkberry
300 Canal St.
New Orleans, LA


Hi, my name is Stacey and I am a frozen yogurt addict. I have always been a big fan of TCBY, but YoLo has shown me the light. I just love the whole serve yourself and get your own (yummy, local) toppings concept. I realize this is a national trend--this yogurt craze--but I am discovering that not all of these new, fancy yogurt stores are created equal.

Right across the street from the Insectarium is Pinkberry, a national frozen yogurt chain. My coworker, who has been to one in California, told me how much she loved their tart flavor. I decided to take the monkeys (Satchel, 8, Jiro, 6), who are also yogurt connoisseurs, with me. (Warren came too, but he doesn't love yogurt like we do.)

IMG_1065

There was quite a line when we got there, but it moved pretty quick. Turns out that at Pinkberry, they pile the toppings on for you. There's a flat rate for yogurt, and yogurt with toppings. Inexplicably different flavors have different prices.

The woman behind the counter asked if we'd ever been there before and when I said no, she started a memorized speech about their products. It soon became clear that it was going to be quite a speech, and as nicely as I could, I said, "That's okay, we don't need the speech."

Sorry, woman behind the counter if that made you hate me immediately but the frozen yogurt + toppings concept is just not worthy of a speech. I do not like it when restaurants assume that their customers are stupid. (Genghis Grill and P.F. Chang's come to mind.)

IMG_1067

Anyways, I ordered a small tart and was asked if I wanted toppings. Now as you can see from the picture, they fill the cup with yogurt first, then ask. Then you get to watch as they try and cram as much topping as they can between the yogurt and the edge of the cup. It's really kind of amusing. As you can see, you don't get all that much.

But really, it's fine. It was plenty. (I have the opposite problem at YoLo--we all tend to get waaaay too much.)

IMG_1066

I ordered the monkeys "minis" and it was just enough for them. Weirdo Satchel couldn't even finish his.

IMG_1068

Warren opted for a green tea smoothie. I didn't particularly care for the taste, but he liked it. I liked that they had other options besides just yogurt.

We all finished up and headed out feeling good. I asked Warren what the bill was and he said $15. I have to say that was a little shocking. Maybe I should have listened to the speech after all. At least then I might know how they justify charging so much, or exactly what makes their yogurt so fancy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...