Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Rollin Sweets

Rollin Sweets
26 S. Second
(901) 623-3497


After Jiro (13) and I went to Ono Poke, we headed downtown to Rollin Sweets for a little dessert. Facebook was buzzing about how great it was, and since Jiro actually knew what rolled ice cream was (he saw it on YouTube), I thought a Monday night would be a good time to check it out.

I knew it was on Second & Monroe, but not exactly where. After circling the block a few times, we found it a few doors down from Raiford's. As you can see, it's pretty easy to miss.

Untitled

As we got closer, I noticed this sign on the door. Uh oh.

Untitled

Now, had I been alone, I would have simply turned around and left. (Or had I been with a toddler or infant or any kid under the age of 13.) Jiro was not deterred. We went in, and while all of the seats were full and there were a few people watching their ice cream get made, we were encouraged to place our orders.

Untitled

Neither of us really knew what to do, not unlike what we just experienced at Ono Poke, so the cashier kind of walked us through the options. Again, they have some pre-selected combinations or you can make up your own combination. Then there are some specialty items like milkshakes and sundaes.

Untitled

I decided on Nana's Bananas at the cashier's recommendation and Jiro got the "Don't make me choose" which is composed of several different types of candy. Our total was $14. The cashier wrote our names and order on some cups and then put them in the queue.

Untitled

"Uh...how long is the wait?" I asked, now remembering the sign on the door. "Oh about thirty minutes," she replied. Ok, no big. I told her we'd probably walk around for a bit. I wanted to show Jiro the new pocket park across from the Brass Door and I wanted to see the latest art installation in the Tops Gallery there, so I considered it a win. (Jiro probably wouldn't have otherwise agreed to a walk.)

Untitled

I also got to show him Raiford's. But it only took us about 20 minutes. When we got back to Rollin Sweets we knew we were in the for the long haul. So, we started a game of pass n play Scrabble. Most everyone else waiting was calm and I started to think this ice cream must be REALLY GOOD. But I also started to think, "Why do they only have one girl making the ice cream? What's everyone else doing? How are they going to stay in business like this?" I mean, it was crowded, but not crazy crowded.

At one point there appeared to be a shift change, or some of the employees went on break, I'm not sure. The sign on the door came down, a few more people came in, and then a new sign went up.

Untitled

So, yeah.

After an hour and fifteen minutes, it was finally our turn.

I was up first and had a giggle about the secret ingredients in Nana's Banana's.

Untitled

The gal poured a small cup of ice cream base on top and chopped everything up with a spatula. As she did this, it began to freeze. Then she flattened it all down, and then scraped it up in rows to make the spirals. (Click below for video.)

Untitled

I also timed her. It took her about 3.5 minutes for the whole operation. When she was done, I asked if I could have some toppings since I thought the cashier said it was unlimited toppings. She said yes, so I requested Reeses peanut butter cups. I mean cup. She said I could only have one. Ha!

Untitled

So I'd clock my whole order to be about 5 minutes from start to finish. If you look back at the ice cream queue picture above, there were a total of ten cups, but I think that was the queue after my order was completed. Anyways, if you order and want to gauge your wait, multiply each cup ahead of you by 5 minutes.

Back to my ice cream. Jiro and I both took a bite and it was quite delicious.

Jiro's turn was next, and I again timed her at about 3.5 minutes. I felt bad for her having to crush and chop everything with the spatula. I imagine she's pretty tired at the end of her shift. Seriously.

Jiro was scared to ask for toppings after my experience, but his ice cream already included several treats. It was also yummy.

Untitled
Untitled

We went to sit down and enjoy our ice cream, and noticed two assholes took our seats in the window. Even when they saw us come back, they didn't say a word. Or a whole sentence like, "Hey sorry, do you want your seats back?"

We sat in their old seats, which were clearly not as good as ours.

A few other observations:

There are actually two stations where they can make the ice cream. I can't explain why they are only using one.

Also a woman who came in an hour after us got a milkshake after about 15 minutes. They made it in the back.

Untitled

Finally, once the ice cream melts a bit, or you mess it up with your spoon, it just looks like regular ice cream. So unless I walk by this place and it's totally empty, or they have trained a second person to fulfill orders, I will probably never go again. That place on Main Street that used to be Maggie Moo's basically does the same thing and it's faster and cheaper.

The end.

p.s. The bathroom was not stocked and didn't lock. I learned both things the hard way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...