Monday, July 26, 2010

Christy's Donuts (Milpitas, CA)

Christy's Donuts
1291 East Calaveras Boulevard (Milpitas, CA)
(408) 942-1933


Warren always tells us about "the good ol' days" when he worked at the donut shop in high school. He went to high school in California, so naturally, when we went to Milpitas (outside San Jose) to visit his dad, I insisted that we go to the donut shop. It's just a couple of blocks away from his dad's house and as we walked he told us how he used to get up at 3:45am to go make the donuts before going to school. Impressive! (I got up at 5:45am to wash my hair and then went back to sleep until 6:45am.)

When he worked there it was called Dandy Donuts. Now it is officially Christy's Donuts.


The monkeys (Satchel, 8, and Jiro, 6) and I were very excited to finally check out the donut shop first hand. Jiro was psyched to see that they served ice cream, but I explained that he could not have ice cream for breakfast. "If I eat all of my donuts can I have ice cream for dessert?" he asked. Uh...NO,

There were many tasty treats to choose from. I was tempted by the croissant sandwiches, but I'm pretty sure that croissants actually have more fat in them than donuts.


Filled holes seem to be there specialty. I'll pause while you think of a dirty joke...okay done laughing? They have custard holes, jelly holes, and chocolate holes. It's okay, make another joke. I'll wait...


Yep, they have fruit sticks too!


And the usual donut offerings.


Overwhelmed by the offerings, I went with my usual double chocolate donut and a iced Vietnamese coffee. (Yum!)



Satchel got a sugar coated raised donut and started raving about ho wbig and fluffy it was. "It's like two donuts!"


Jiro got a glazed and sprinkled twist.


Warren's dad, who we call Oji, got a maple log.


Warren got the jelly holes, which he shared with me. They were delish.


We were all happy, sugared up, campers. (Notice that they use real plates. I like that a lot.)


Wait, you gotta get a good look at the awesome retro tables and wallpaper, both of which were there back in Warren's day behind the counter.


Christy, the new owner, was in the store and she and Warren chatted a bit about the shop and what had changed in the years since he worked there. She was super nice and the donuts really were exceptional. I wasn't at all surprised to see a wall of awards near the front door.


If you are ever in Milpitas, or just in the general area, and need some sugar, you should definitely check out Christy's. Tell her Warren sent you!

Christy Donuts on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...