Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Satsuma Cafe (New Orleans)

Satsuma Café
3218 Dauphine Street
New Orleans, LA 70117
(504) 304-5962


On my second trip to New Orleans this month (I had three total), I went to Satsuma Cafe for breakfast by myself...since you know, I was by myself and it was around the corner from where I was staying. I had read about it in last month's Food & Wine Magazine. (The article was about healthy eating in other cities! Woot!) Like all Bywater restaurants, it has a funky feel.



See? Cute, right?



And it is totally normal to see tons of bikes parked everywhere in the Bywater, Marigny, and the French Quarter.



My Monday morning breakfast was pretty subdued since there were not a lot of people there at 9:30am, but it was nice. I had a coffee, beet juice, and the one eyed jack (toast with fried egg and avocado). Simple, fresh, tasty. Oh, and healthy!



They don't have a very big kitchen at all, but they definitely have plenty of space to make the magic happen.



I noticed a couple of people with babies when I was eating, and later when I visited the "lounge" I was very impressed with their cozy baby changing station.



So, on my third and final trip to New Orleans, I insisted that Warren and the monkeys (Satchel, 9, and Jiro, 7) join me, Amy, John, & Leo (our Nola friends) for Sunday brunch.

Brunch is definitely pretty happening at Satsuma Cafe, but that didn't stop us from scoring a nice, big table on the patio.



One of my favorite things about New Orleans is the patios. I especially like the hidden courtyards tucked away in the French Quarter.

The guys took a quick look at the menu board and then left Amy & I to order. Warren and John both claimed to only want juice, but there were so many yummy offerings, Amy & I made the executive decision to order them food anyway.



After placing the order, we joined the guys back at the table. It was a lovely day and it was nice just hanging out. Our juices came uot first, then the food. Everything looked delicious.

Satchel scarfed down every bite of his egg and cheese biscuit.



Jiro was stoked that I got him a strawberry chocolate chip pancake to go with his side of bacon.



Warren was secretly thrilled when he found out I went ahead and got the portabello bahn mi he briefly considered.



My quinoa salad was super tasty. Warren was jealous, so I eventually agreed to halfsies. (If quinoa is on the menu, I have to order it!)



I didn't want to freak out John & Amy by insisting on taking pictures of their food, but I can assure you that they cleaned their plates. Satsuma is awesome in every way! It is also totally worth a special trip to the Bywater. Although once there, you will find plenty of other great places to eat and shop. There's even a recently opened a VINYL record store, called Euclid. Seriously.



If you haven't been to the Bywater, make it a must. (Other places of note: Bacchanal Wine & Spirits and Maurepas Foods.)

Oh, and I hear Satsuma Cafe also makes delicious small plates at dinner time. Woot!

Satsuma Café on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...